Disabilities Ministries Team of the Connecticut Conference, First Quarter Report, 2009
Submitted by Jacky Scofield
We start the New Year with several new team members: Rev. Paul Goodman, Pat Kenney, Marty Night, Rev. Ray and Bonnie Odiorne and Rev. Kathy Peters. In addition, Rev. Karen Jodice continues for a second year.
Jan. 29 Meeting
In Attendance: Jacky Schofield Ann Marino, Karen Jodice, Pat Kenney
â€¢ Request for a volunteer for Secretary (no one present was available).
â€¢ Discussion of our goals and distribution of our Mission Statement for new team members
â€¢ How to find â€œambassadorsâ€ to help talk to churches about A2A.
1. Draw from the list of people who volunteered for the core team.
2. Possibility that some core team members may be able to occasionally speak to other churches about A2A
3. As churches become A2A, hope that others are inspired to help
â€¢ How to train â€œambassadors.â€
1. The A2A curriculum can be found online at www.uccdm.org.
2. Each team member will read a section (15-20 pages) of the curriculum and write a brief summary/outline of that section.
â€¢ How to find churches willing to consider becoming A2A.
1. If one or two start and we can publicize it, others will follow.
2. Churches of core team members may consider
3. Churches of ambassadors may consider
4. Approach churches that responded to our email about accessibility.
a. Develop a questionnaire about accommodations that have been made. This will open a conversation and pave the way for discussing A2A
b. Speak to the pastor or other designated person regarding accommodations and their motivation for them.
c. Eventually ask if they would be interested in hearing about A2A.
February No meeting held
March 19 Meeting
In attendance: Jacky Schofield, Karen Jodice, Ray Odiorne, Pat Kenney, Marty Night and Paul Goodman
â€¢ Introductions of new team members
â€¢ Status of church survey questions
1. Contact with churches has not been completed
2. Churches which have, or will be contacted:
Paul â€“ Brookfield
Pat – Manchester
Karen â€“ Broadview
Jacky – Bridgeport
â€¢ Summaries of â€œAccessible to Allâ€ Curriculum
1.Section I â€“ â€œAnybodyâ€ is complete.
â€¢ Annual Spring Conference Meeting workshop
1. Meeting theme is â€œhealth careâ€
a. Jacky brought a pamphlet that she had compiled for another advocacy group â€“ â€œDisability Etiquette.â€
b. It had been presented at two churches and had been well received. Engenders discussion.
c. It is a collection of rules of etiquette for interacting with people with disabilities.
Discussed possibility of using it as a foundation of a workshop. Use as a way to discuss A2A
d. Name the workshop â€œ25 No-cost Ways to make our Churches Accessible.â€
e. Paul, Pat and Ray all offered to do the presentation (other team members not present should talk to them about splitting the presentation).
f. Bonnie Odiorne has offered to put together a simple Power Point presentation
Next Meeting Scheduled for April 23, 2009